Service and Calibration Technician, Virginia, USA
The Service & Calibration Technician role in the PPT Group is key to the excellent Service and Support solutions of James Heal, Mecmesin and Alluris product for our North American customers, based out of Sterling, Virginia.
The role will carry out on-site and off-site service and calibration work to a consistently excellent standard responding to customers’ needs through a consistent Customer Focus approach.
The Technician will act as the responsible person whilst working on and off site, ensuring that all departmental procedures, H&S and Quality policies and Safe Working Procedures are followed in line with the Company Values, they are also to work proactively and collaboratively with all colleagues and interested parties.
The Service Engineer will offer leadership and will share best practice and service to other Service Engineers ensuring that service and calibration is consistent between all engineers, and make promote and adopt Innovative recommendations for continuous improvements.
VP of Operations
For whom responsible
Any other work colleagues who may accompany him/her during their daily activities
- Demonstrate best practice and consistent service / calibration work between all engineers. Always adopt a “right first time” approach to work and to be aware of all job requirements in advance.
- Be aware of expected timescales and inform customer in advance when these may not be met. Maximise perception of value for money.
- Proactively contribute to job planning when requested to suit business and customer requirements.
- Complete Company documentation (timesheets, job sheets, expenses, mileage sheets) fully and accurately and submit in a timely (weekly) manner. Any follow-on work required is to be highlighted clearly along with recommendations
- Report back information to the team which may help to understand customer issues and future needs.
- Seek and make recommendations on continuous improvements. Proactively contribute to, and seek to improve, technical content of service checklists and similar.
- Carry out helpdesk technical support duties as and when requested.
- To identify spare parts needed for job and ensure availability
- Maintain an accurate, detailed, up to date record of all car stock spare parts and ensure tools and equipment are always in excellent condition.
- To assist when available with the stock take of engineer’s stores and car stock.
- To ensure that all company H& Sand QA policies and procedures are followed.
- To participate and adhere to working time directives
- To resolve technical queries and make use of the skills of other personnel to help solve these queries.
- Be an authorised UKAS and ISO Certificate signatory and contract reviewer (training will be provided) , reviewing and authorising certificates as necessary.
- Provide support via telephone to customers and agents as required, responding in a timely professional manner.
- All employees will be expected to carry out work within their capability outside of their normal duties. This could include working in, or on behalf of, other departments.
- To undertake any other relevant tasks as requested by management.
Effective and regular internal and external communication is crucial.
The role of the Service Engineer is integral to the effective operation of the Service and Calibration Department. The post holder must engage in regular internal and external communication with customers, agents and all functions across the business to ensure the efficient operation of the department including:
- Service & Calibration colleagues
- Senior Management Team
- Operations Team
- Product Innovation Team
- Sales & Marketing Team
- Test Materials Centre Team
- Quality Department
The candidates will possess the following competencies in line with the James Heal Company values:
- Commercial awareness with diverse customers worldwide
- Both work independently and Collaboratively as part of a team is essential
- Willingness and commitment to provide Leadership, support and develop other Team Members.
- The ability to organise tasks to meet targets. Making most efficient use of time and other resources.
- The ability to apply and share knowledge and practical techniques to solve technical problems.
- Commitment to Health, Safety and Quality and understanding of the implications in the workplace.
- Ability to demonstrate energy, drive, commitment, and to achieving both personal and company success.
- Adopt and promote an Innovative Continuous Improvement methodology to all activities
- Identify, respond to and provide solutions to both internal and external customers through a consistent Customer Focus approach
- Innovative and engaging
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team worker
- Dedicated and conscientious
- Flexible & resilient
- Flexibility, Energy and Drive to promote and respond to changing requirements
- Honest, sincere and genuine
- Resilient and calm
- Dedicated and conscientious
- High levels of Integrity and Professionalism
Employment & Educational Background
- Experience of servicing technical products, instrumentation or machinery is essential.
- Ability and flexibility to travel extensively in the Americas and limited worldwide is essential
- Written and spoken foreign language skills desirable but not essential.
- Excellent communication skills plus recognised IT competence levels are essential
- Educated to HNC, vocational or military level in mechanical, electrical and electronic skills or equivalent experience are required
- Valid and current US drivers licence is essential
The Job Description is a broad statement of the purpose, scope, and responsibilities essential to performing within the role to a required standard. The role and responsibilities thereof defined within will change with technology, working practices and redefining of roles, and with this in mind, the process will be reviewed as changes demand. The format does not require every single task to be recorded, instead the Job Description is written in a ‘generic’ style that permits flexibility but defines the boundaries of responsibility and accountability.
Who are we?
Operating globally The PPT Group is a leader in the design and supply of physical properties test equipment for quality control, enabling small and large businesses to carry out quality control checks on their raw materials, components and products without having to compromise on precision or accuracy.
Our family of trusted brands: Mecmesin and James Heal provide test equipment to thousands of customers around the world in a diverse range of industries including: medical devices; pharmaceuticals; packaging; plastics and rubber; cosmetics; automotive and textiles.
This position is based at Mecmesin’s North American headquarters in Sterling, Virginia.
Apply for this role
To apply please send your resume and covering email to Angela Rabone, HR Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org), highlighting your relevant experience for the role.